Friday, March 14, 2008

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood


I chose Oryx and Crake for my first Atwood novel based on a friends recommendation. I have to say, I was not in the least bit disappointed. If Atwood writes every novel with this much originality, creativity, and intrigue, then I am forever hooked. Oryx and Crake is set in the future and is told by the character Jimmy, who also goes by Snowman. Snowman is the present and Jimmy, the past. The reader is thrown into a civilization that has been demolished and re-created. The story is narrated by Snowman, who explains the chain of events that lead to this new civilization by retelling his childhood bit by bit. The reader is along for the ride as Snowman retells his entire life, up to present day.

Admittedly, it is slow to begin. However, the more I read about Snowman/Jimmy's past, the more difficult it was to set this novel down. Atwood certainly did her research. The future she paints is very believable, and quite frightening. The story ends on somewhat of a cliffhanger. I am almost certain that Atwood does this for a reason. However, it does leave the possibility for a sequel. Oryx and Crake was a remarkable read, and I definitely would read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment