Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Book Summery:
Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker—his classmate and crush—who committed suicide two weeks earlier. On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he’ll find out how he made the list. Through Hannah and Clay’s dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect readers. -goodreads.com

Book Trailer (fan made):



Book Review:
I have read several reviews for this book, but it honestly seemed a little to emo for my taste. That is until I read a phenomenal review over at TinasBookReviews. I am soooo glad I read Tina's review. I literally finished this book within 24 hours of picking it up. While I don't necessarily agree with Hannah's decision to end her life, or all of the reasons she chose to end her life, it made me think. It brought me back to the dark place I resided in high school. Having been out of (high) school for almost 8 years now, I had forgotten how lonely and isolated one can feel, especially when you don't have anyone that you can trust or fall back on. Though it was a bit of an emotional roller coaster, it was good to remember. It helped me to be grateful for the life that I worked hard for and have now. I remember thinking every day (back then), "I just have to get through this," and it's true. High school sucks for everyone on some level. If you just get through it, you can have the life you really want, if you work for it. I wouldn't label this as a "feel good" read, but it did cause me to truly contemplate and reflect over my life then and now, which I consider one hell of a master trait in a book. 5 stars. Check out the author's website here.

Favorite Quote:
"Would you want the ability to hear other people's thoughts?

Of course you would. Everyone answers yes to that question, until they think it all the way through.

For example, what if other people could hear your thoughts? What if they could hear your thoughts...right now?

They'd hear confusion. Frustration. Even some anger. They'd hear the words of a dead girl running through my head. A girl, for some reason, blames me for her suicide." (p. 174)

Cover Art Commentary:
The front cover is probably one of my favorite things about this book. Not necessarily the design on the front cover...though it is nice. What I like most is the map on the back of the front cover. In the book, Hannah leaves a copy of a map with everyone who receives the tapes. On the map are various locations, marked, so the listener can physically follow Hannah's journey as well as audibly. It's a very interesting and interactive concept for the reader.

Overall Rating:

9 comments:

  1. Great review.
    Now I really want to see the cover in person ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a little skeptical before starting the book and was totally surprise at how quickly the book was able to absorb me in. One of the best read this year for me and like you said, definitely one of the books that keep me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you liked it Lily...It stayed with me for a few days....and thanks for the shout out...:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading this book right now too!

    You have an award at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a really good book. I'll have to look out for that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Juju
    It really is pretty sweet! :D

    @Shy
    I couldn't have said it any better myself! I am constantly thinking about it still! :)

    @Tina
    This is definitely one of those books that will stay with me for quite some time! Your review was really interesting. I picked up the book within a day or two of reading it! :P

    @Kailia
    Thanks for the award! :)

    @Rob
    I'd love to hear your thoughts on it! Let me know if you decide to pick it up! :)

    @Tipsy
    It really is an exceptional read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, makes me want to read this like... right now! LOL Finished in 24 hours?! Must have been amazing! I love when I find a book that I read that quickly because it's just that good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have had this book on my wishlist for a while now. your excellent review just makes me want to get to it sooner!

    ReplyDelete