Monday, June 27, 2011

Fairy Bad Day by Amanda Ashby



Book Summery (via Goodreads):
While most students at Burtonwood Academy get to kill demons and goblins, fifteen-year-old Emma gets to rid the world of little annoying fairies with glittery wings and a hipster fashion sense. She was destined to be a dragon slayer, but cute and charming Curtis stole her spot. Then she sees a giant killer fairy - and it's invisible to everyone but her! If Emma has any chance of stopping this evil fairy, she's going to need help. Unfortunately, the only person who can help is Curtis. And now, not only has he stolen her dragon-slayer spot, but maybe her heart as well! Why does she think it's going to be a fairy bad day?

Book Review:
This is my first book read by Amanda Ashby, and I can honestly say it wont be my last! This story was fun, whimsical, and adventurous. It hit all the right notes for me! I instantly fell in love with the main character, Emma. She is adorable, funny, smart, and creative. I craved to learn more about her. I found her relationship with her mother both touching and inspiring. Despite her mother's death (which takes place long before the story begins), her character lives on through Emma's memories and flashbacks. Emma's friends are fiercely loyal and supportive. Even when the whole world is against her, Emma can ALWAYS count on her friends. I relished that aspect very much. It made the story stronger and more satisfying. Emma's relationship with Curtis was awkward and enjoyable all at the same time. I savored their clumsy romantic moments, and relationship arc. Overall, this was a very fun and entertaining read. I will definitely keep my radar up for future books by Ashby and plan to check out her previous novel, The Zombie Queen of Newbury High. For more information, check out her website.

Favorite Quote:
"She slowly shook her head. This made no sense. No one slayed fairies. Fairies were dumb...and small. In fact, she didn't even know why they were listed as one of the twelve elementals that had come through the gate of Linaria, since the worst she'd ever seen them do was change the food labels at the supermarket." (p. 7)

Cover Art Commentary:
This cover is fun and whimsical, just like the story. The cover is what initially drew my eye to the book. :)

Rating:

10 comments:

  1. I have had my eye on this one ever since I first saw the cover and title. It sounded to me like everything you describe in your review. I am definitely looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so glad you liked it! I really must get on this book. I still haven't read Gail Carriger's stuff either. I have all her books though!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like such a fun and adorable read!! Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like such a fun and adorable read!! Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really cute, thanks for the review. Also, thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm now following you too. ~ Jen @ A Book and a Latte

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, loving this story! It sounds perfect for summer and great to hear that the friendship is very honest in this story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with everyone about the cover--it is quite striking. I am going to have to get this book.

    New follower. Please come visit me at www.thebookaddict.net

    ReplyDelete