Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Diviners (The Diviners #1) by Libba Bray




Book Summery (Via Goodreads): Evie O'Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City--and she is pos-i-toot-ly thrilled. New York is the city of speakeasies, shopping, and movie palaces! Soon enough, Evie is running with glamorous Ziegfield girls and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is Evie has to live with her Uncle Will, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult--also known as "The Museum of the Creepy Crawlies."
When a rash of occult-based murders comes to light, Evie and her uncle are right in the thick of the investigation. And through it all, Evie has a secret: a mysterious power that could help catch the killer--if he doesn't catch her first.

Book Review:
Well Libba Bray, you have won my heart! Admittedly, this is my first Libba Bray novel, but it wont be my last! Not only did Bray create a magical world, she also did some serious research. Perhaps my favorite component of this novel is the setting. The streets of New York in the 1920s! Simply divine! The flappers, prohibition, speak-eases, the slang...you name it, Bray incorporated it! The setting sets this book apart from the heard. The characters are fabulous and well crafted. Evie makes for a fun-loving narrator. She adds freshness and spunk to the story! Jericho, Will, Mabel, Theta, Henry, and Memphis all make for fantastic supporting characters. I could easily write a paragraph on each of them. I'm curious to learn more about Theta, Henry, and Memphis, in particular. The scenes with Naughty John are just downright bone-chilling. It takes A LOT to creep me out, and those scenes did the trick! I don't remember being that spooked since Stephen King's The Shining. Overall, a fabulous setting, vivid characters, and well-crated writing. What more can a reader ask for?!

Favorite Quote:
"'How do you invent a religion?' Evie asked. 
Will looked over the top of his spectacles, 'You say "God told me the following," and then wait for people to sign up.'"

Cover Art Commentary:
Is this not one of the most gorgeous covers you have seen?! It's purple, old-timey, and just lovely.

Rating:

4 comments:

  1. Love that you loved it.
    Great review.
    Question: Is she kinda anti religion in it? 'Cause that's usually a tie breaker for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. There is some religion in there, but nothing really pro or con.

      This quote made me laugh b/c it's kind of my take on Scientology....L. Ron Hubbard said something of the like earlier in his career, and then *poof* Scientology is born. ;P

      It's really a great book, you should give it a try.

      Delete
    2. Oh ok. Right on. :)
      Thank you.

      It's been ages since I've tried Libba's work. I keep thinking I should try this one but I'm scared of the size.

      I do continue to hear awesome things though.

      Thanks for your response.

      Delete
    3. Don't be intimidated by it's size! It's so good, you'll be happy for it's size!

      Delete