Friday, June 14, 2013

Siege and Storm (The Grisha #2) by Leigh Bardugo




Book Summery (Via Goodreads): Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land. She finds starting new is not easy while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. She can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.
The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her–or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.

Book Review:
*sighs* I was so. looking. forward. to this book. So what happened? The pacing was a bit off...Like there wasn't a cohesiveness to the story as a whole. Despite the large amount of action in the first third of the book, it just didn't hold my interest. I honestly didn't become super interested until the last third of the book. I felt disconnected from both Alina and Mal. There just wasn't much engaging to me as a reader. I mean I understand that they have history, but really what else was keeping them together? So what did I enjoy? Learning more about the world that Bardugo created, new characters, the Darkling (who is as evil as ever), and the time spent at Little Palace. Despite some let-downs, I still plan on picking up the next book in the series. If you've read this, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Favorite Quote:
“I took a breath. "Your highness-" 
"Nikolai," he corrected. "But I've also been known to answer to 'sweetheart' or 'handsome'.” 

Cover Art Commentary:
I love LOVE this cover! Can we just take a moment and be grateful that this series did not get the mid-series switcharoo? These covers are just too awesome for words!

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment