Friday, May 16, 2008

Big Fish by Daniel Wallace


Ok, so let me start off by mentioning where I first heard about this book...or movie, I should say. It was a few years back during my humanities class (the very one in which I met Jake). Our instructor was somewhat of fruit loop. She had just gone to see the movie with her husband and absolutely hated it because it dealt solely with a father-son relationship (she was very Feminist). So, of course, I had to go and watch the movie to see what all the fuss was about. I rather liked the movie, just one of many things I did NOT have in common with this instructor. :P Plus, its a Tim Burton film...how can you go wrong?!

So recently I was browsing my favorite bookstore, the one that is just down the street from my new apartment, and I came across the Big Fish. Admittedly, I did not know the movie had been a book prior. It was on sale, so I scooped it up on my way to check out. As I neared final season of school, I wanted to read something light, fun, and entertaining. Big Fish fulfills all these expectations. It is a quick read and easy to pick up, read a few excerpts, and set down until you have time to pick it back up again (which sometimes expanded into weeks for me). It is about a father-son relationship, and the ups and downs that goes along with it. The father is on his death bed and his son is re-living all of the stories that his father has told him throughout his life. The son reflects that several times, when he has wanted to have a serious heart-to-heart with his dad, he instead hears a joke or tall tale. However, instead of being resentful and angry, the son accepts his father for what he is, bad jokes and all. Overall, this was a delightful read, and of course, I now want to watch the movie again!

No comments:

Post a Comment