Thursday, March 18, 2010

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

Summery:
Summer, 1954.
U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels has come to Shutter Island, home of Ashecliffe Hospital for the Criminally Insane. Along with his partner, Chuck Aule, he sets out to find an escaped patient. But nothing at Ashecliffe Hospital is what it seems. And neither is Teddy Daniels.
Is he there to find a missing patient? Or has he been sent to look into rumors of Ashecliffe's radical approach to psychiatry? An approach that may include drug experimentation, hideous surgical trials, and lethal countermoves in the shadow war against Soviet brainwashing ...
The closer Teddy and Chuck get to the truth, the more elusive it becomes, and the more they begin to believe that they may never leave Shutter Island. Because someone is trying to drive them insane ...-goodreads.com

Review:
The first time I heard of Shutter Island, was when I saw the previews for the movie. I asked one of my friends to go see it with me, and she replied that she wanted to read the book first. Sadly, I hadn't known that Shutter Island was originally a book! My friend promptly finished the book and we went to see the movie. It was awesome. Afterwords, I picked up the book. I can honestly say that the movie very closely follows the book. The overall feeling of the book (and movie) is dark, creepy, and the nagging urge that things aren't really what they seem. I think I would have rated this book a bit higher, had I read it before the movie. Reading it after, just seemed a bit repetitive. I highly recommend that you read the book before watching the movie, if you plan on doing both.

Cover Art Commentary:
The book pictured above is not the copy I own, which has Leonardo Di Caprio on the cover...I really hate when they stick pictures of the movie on the copy of the book. However, the cover pictured above is dark and haunting, just like the book!
Overall Rating:

8 comments:

  1. I don't think I can handle this book. Sounds too creepy. I'm a huge chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to see the movie, but so am not going to see it in the cinema. Way too creepy. :)
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am intrigued to read this book, but as I'm probably going to see the movie this weekend I don't have to time read the book first, which is always my preference. It does sound really good though and I'm pleased to hear that the movie closely follows the book as I hate it when they change too much. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Juju
    It is really creepy, but also really good. It's okay, we all like different things. :P

    @Nina
    It is really creepy, but also really good. Let me know what you think of it! :)

    @BCC
    That was my problem. I didn't have tine to read the book before watching the movie. I probably should have waited a little longer to read the book, but oh well. I hope you enjoy the movie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the movie was awesome, I absolutely agree with your thoughts on the movie. The ending leaves you wondering all sorts of things.

    I usually try to read the book first before seeing a movie too. I didn't know the movie was based on a book.

    I've found reading the book then watching the movie or vice-versa, usually doesn't compare to each other. There is always a let down somewhere in the comparison. Kudos to you for reading the book after seeing the movie, I can't do that. I have to have the unknown when I read a book, it's also the reason I don't reread. Extreme reading is my thing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the book a couple of years ago, and really liked it. It is not one of my favorites, but I thought it was still good.
    I watched the movie the day it came out, and loved it!
    Great review, Lily :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went and saw this before I read the book....I think its a toss up..if you watch the movie first, the ending is so shocking it ruins the book experience- just like the book I think ruins the movie because the end is what is the story is all about. I loved it ..creepy yes...scary no....

    ReplyDelete