Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler


Book Summery:
"Don't worry, Anna. I'll tell her, okay? Just let me think about the best way to do it."
"Okay."

"Promise me? Promise you won't say anything?"
"Don't worry." I laughed. "It's our secret, right?"

According to her best friend Frankie, twenty days in Zanzibar Bay is the perfect opportunity to have a summer fling, and if they meet one boy every day, there's a pretty good chance A
nna will find her first summer romance. Anna lightheartedly agrees to the game, but there's something she hasn't told Frankie---she's already had that kind of romance, and it was with Frankie's older brother, Matt, just before his tragic death one year ago.

Beautifully written and emotionally honest, this is a debut novel that explores what it truly means to love someone and what it means to grieve, and ultimately, how to make the most of every single moment this world has to offer.
-goodreads.com

Book Trailer/Author Intro:



Book Review:
Sarah Ockler takes us on an emotional journey through friendships, loss, love, and beginnings in her debut, Twenty Boy Summer. I was honestly shocked at how much this book impacted me. Though I have never been in this particular situation, reading this book stirred feelings of loss, love, and life in general. Feelings that I have shoved down and all but forgotten about. I love that Ockler narrates this from Anna's voice. The forgotten victim...the best friend. Who feels guilty for grieving. Twenty Boy Summer is story of firsts...first loves, first losses, first flings, first fights...If I had a teenage daughter, I would eagerly pass this book along to her. Ockler tackles a tough subject with a beautiful vocabulary and honest perspective in her debut. Her characters are real, flawed, and easy to relate to. I highly look forward to her next book, Fixing Delilah Hannaford, which is released next month. :) Craving more information? Check out Sarah Ockler's website (found here) for more insight into the author, excerpts of her books, and her offical blog, in which she discusses banned books, and the controversy of censorship (which is one of the main reasons I read Twenty Boy Summer, as it has recently been challenged to be banned from high school libraries).

Favorite Quote:
"After packing our bags, cleaning our room, and eating a light breakfast with Uncle Red and Aunt Jayne, I take a final walk out to the ocean - my sad blue secret keeper. She's witnessed everything on this trip - albatross cast off, secrets unleashed, history destroyed, love and friendships found and broken - yet she remains the same. Reassuring. Undying." (p.274)

Cover Art Commentary:
At first glance, this cover might seem simple. At least, it did to me. After reading the book contents, the cover becomes exceptional with significant meaning. The layers of sea glass pieced together to create a heart, that's not quite whole. With one piece of the ever-coveted red sea glass that will hold a special place, forever.

Overall Rating:

11 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous review! Well done. Seriously :)

    PS How you feeling darling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard such great things about this book.Great review
    Need to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of this one - it's been on my wishlist for a while. I must get around to reading it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Juju
    Thanks hon! And yes, I am feeling better. Thanks for asking! :)

    @Julie
    Thanks! I honestly had been putting it off b/c I didn't know if I would really enjoy it. Banned books week helped to light a fire under me. I am soooo glad I finally read it! It really is a touching story!

    @Leanna
    Thanks! As I said to Julie, I had been putting off reading this one. I am sooo glad I finally picked it up! It really is a great book! :)

    @Lisa
    Thanks! It really has a great message! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought this one after the controversy with it getting banned in MO, but I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. I'm glad you enjoyed it though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Natalie
    I totally thought of you and your protest while I read this. :) I honestly don't think there's anything bad enough in this to even consider that is should be banned. I have read other YA books that are heavily laced with sex, drugs, and violence. This had a little alcohol and a touch of sex, but that wasn't the overall theme. I guess some people just have their own personal agenda. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review, tbis one hadn't really appealed to me but with all the controversay I am curious enough to give it a try. Your review has convinced me I should read it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Liz
    Thanks love! :)

    @Sarah
    Yay! I'm so glad! Looking forward to your review! Btw...what is your tattoo of?

    @Tipsy
    Thanks hon! :)

    ReplyDelete