Saturday, July 16, 2011

Vicious Little Darlings by Katherine Easer

 

Book Summery (via Goodreads): Sarah Weaver wasn't looking forward to starting at an all-girls school. But that was before she met Maddy. Maddy and her best friend, Agnes, are fun and rich and interesting—and for some reason, they seem to really like Sarah. Before long, Maddy and Agnes have moved Sarah into a big house off campus, where they cook together, buy each other presents, and share each other's secrets. So why does Sarah feel like something's bizarrely wrong? As more and more cracks start to show in Maddy's and Agnes's perfect veneers, Sarah notices some strange and disturbing things: Maddy's compulsive lying, Agnes's obsession with Maddy, and the deterioration of their friendship. And just when Sarah begins to question her own sanity, things turns deadly.

Book Review:
Wow! I gave myself a few days to process this one, but I don't know if I'll ever be able to process it completely. I can honestly say I had no idea what would happen next as I read this entire book. The element of surprise is alive and well, my darlings. There are three main characters in this story, Sarah, Maddy and Agnes. Each girl has a distinct personality and has a specific role in the overall plot. Sarah is the most down to earth. She is a victim of circumstance, as well as poor choices, and is trying to find herself. Maddy is seemingly sweet and playful, almost childlike. Agnes is more uptight, but has a good heart. These three girls become fast friends and lean on each other through their first semester at an all-girls college. It's not too long before things become amiss and Sarah comes to realized things definitely are not what they seem. I don't want to tell you too much, because it really is best to go into this book without any preconceived notions. However, let me tell you this was one suspenseful ride. Towards the end, I was jumping at every little noise in my apartment! If you are looking for a creepy, thrilling tale, then look no further!

Favorite Quote:
"I look up at Haven House. It's impressive, all brick and ivy, ivy and brick. It sort of looks like Harvard-or at least like what I know of Harvard from the movies-both welcoming and intimidating at the same time." p. 4


Cover Art Commentary:
Well, of course I am rather partial to purple! So, that is what first drew my little eyes to this book. I'm not really sure what the pink hair is supposed to symbolize, but the full moon definitely has meaning.

Rating:
 


8 comments:

  1. Oooo sounds like a goodie. That cover is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably not something I would usually read. From your review and the summary it sounds pretty dark. BTW I'm loving your new blog design and the rating system too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I don't think this is for me. Yikes I don't do to much freaky

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the sound of this book. Just perfect and the cover too. ;) Yay, I found another creepy book to read! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This isn't a book I'd pick up based on the cover, but I love creepy books in the summertime (kinda makes them less creepy) so I'm going to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Tipsy
    I really did enjoy it. :)

    @Jenny
    It is pretty creepy! Thanks! I'm really lovin' the purple!

    @Liz
    It is definitely a crazy book! :)

    @Nina
    It is a rather creepy read, but so good!

    @Bookish
    Hmmm...I've never thought of it that way, but it kinda makes sense that summer would lower the creep factor! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it - and hate it! - when a book creeps me out this much! Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ive had my eye on this one for awhile now...I think Im going to Library it though and not buy it....

    Great review!!

    ReplyDelete