Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin




Book Summer (Via Hodkin's Website):  My name is not Mara Dyer, but my lawyer told me I had to choose something. A pseudonym. A nom de plume, for all of us studying for the SATs. I know that having a fake name is strange, but trust me—it’s the most normal thing about my life right now. Even telling you this much probably isn’t smart. But without my big mouth, no one would know that a seventeen-year-old who likes Death Cab for Cutie was responsible for the murders. No one would know that somewhere out there is a B student with a body count. And it’s important that you know, so you’re not next.

Book Trailer:



Book Review:
I devoured this book in big gulps. It's definitely interesting and engaging. I wanted to figure out what was happening so desperately! How are all these people ending up dead?! What is Mara's connection? It's a hunger that kept the pages turning. I loved Mara and her family, they were definitely a fun and interesting set of characters. I would like to learn a little bit more about her dad, and the case he is working on. I enjoyed walking the halls of Mara's new school, and getting to know everyone. All of these were very good things that kept me reading long after I should have been asleep. There are a few things however, that I didn't not like. Noah's and Mara's relationship for one. It was just too over the top for me. Noah had the prince charming thing down...and it annoyed me. He was just a little too perfect, if you know what I mean. Also, I felt like the paranormal aspects in this book weren't fully connected....think about a connect the dot drawing, without all the dots connected. You still get the major picture, but it just seems off. Overall, I enjoyed reading Mara Dyer, but there were a few elements that left more to be desired. I still plan on reading the next book in the series. Check out more on Michelle Hodkin's blog, which is quite entertaining.

Favorite Quote:
“Have you made any other friends since we've been here?"
I gave him the death stare. "Yes, actually."
"Who? I want a name."
"Jamie Roth."
"The Ebola kid? I heard he's a little unstable."
"That was one incident.” 

Cover Art Commentary:
That is one gorgeous cover. I'm not really sure how it relates to the book. There is a water scene in the story, but it's in a swamp, which doesn't really remind me of the cover.

Rating:


3 comments:

  1. I just started it this afternoon and the first chapter has me intrigued and wanting to know what happened to her friends. Also I wasn't sure if this was a stand alone or part of a series so thanks for mentioning it in your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Glad you liked it. I can't wait any longer to read this book. It's taking so long for our library to get it in.

    ReplyDelete