Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Legend (Legend #1) by Marie Lu




Book Summery (Via Goodreads): What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Book Review:
Wow. I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I picked up an audiobook copy of  Legend. I had seen a few reviews here and there, and they were mostly all fabulous. However, the cover of the book just looked so bland to me, I never really picked it up (sad, I know, but true). Finally on road trip, I picked up the audiobook and fell in love with this story within the first few pages. This is one seriously amazing distopian novel. The story is plot is rich and detailed, woven with love, sacrifice, death, revenge, and survival. I am totally in love with Day's character. In time, June grew on me just as much. If there are only a few books you read a year, make this one of them! Btw...the above artwork is by the author herself. Check out her other artwork here.

Favorite Quote:
“Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything's possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time."

Cover Art Commentary:
Honestly, I wasn't a fan of this cover at first. I thought it was rather bland. In fact, I overlooked it several times at the bookstore because the cover was monotonous. However, after reading Legend, I have decided that the cover is rather appropriate to the story. The chapters are written in alternating characters, June's voice is regular black type and Day's voice is gold, which ties in nicely with the cover! Also, the above picture is drawn by the author and can be found on her website, along with her other artwork for the series here.

Rating:

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like I better make sure this book is on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one too, and you are right about the cover, it doesn't make you pick it up, but it fits the story pretty well.
    Can't wait for the next one! :D

    Happy midnight reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review!!! Ive heard only great things about this book, I really need to grab it off my book shelf and finally read it...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Juju
    It's a fab read! I hope you try it!

    Ari
    I feel the same way about the cover. Soooo excited for the follow-up!

    Tina
    It's such a great story! I look forward to reading your review in the future! :)

    ReplyDelete