Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Reece Malcolm List by Amy Spalding




Book Summery (Via Goodreads): Things I know about Reece Malcolm:

1. She graduated from New York University.
2. She lives in or near Los Angeles.
3. Since her first novel was released, she’s been on the New York Times bestseller list every week.
4. She likes strong coffee and bourbon.
5. She’s my mother.

Devan knows very little about Reece Malcolm, until the day her father dies and she’s shipped off to live with the mother she’s never met. All she has is a list of notebook entries that doesn’t add up to much.

L.A. offers a whole new world to Devan—a performing arts school allows her to pursue her passion for show choir and musicals, a new circle of friends helps to draw her out of her shell, and an intriguing boy opens up possibilities for her first love.

But then the Reece Malcolm list gets a surprising new entry. Now that Devan is so close to having it all, can she handle the possibility of losing everything?

Book Review:
The summary of this book had me intrigued at first glimpse. A daughter reuniting with her mother, whom she's never met? Sold! I also loved the idea of the daughter making a list of "known" facts about her estranged mother. I was a bit worried about the execution of the storyline, as contemporary books can be disappointing sometimes. However, I was blown away! I was captivated within the very first few pages. Spalding has created realistic, flawed, engaging characters that pull you in. Devan makes a fantastic protagonist. Despite the many misfortunes and uncertainties in her life, she keeps plugging along, making each day count. I really admired her composure. I also loved that she embraced  her talented singing ability with open arms, without being haughty. It was just a matter of fact. Her interactions with the other characters makes this character-driven novel riveting and engaging. I particularly loved the progressive relationship between Devon and Reese. I was not ready for this book to end! I really wish it was part of a series! I will definitely be picking up future books by Amy Spalding!

Favorite Quote:
"'I know, Reece keeps it all here' -she holds her hand to her heart- 'but it breaks through sometimes. I treat her like...' Kate's brow furrows. 'A wild squirrel. Yes! If you sat on your lawn every day, a squirrel would eventually trust you enough to eat out of your hand. But you have to be so still and patient.'

'Aren't all squirrels wild?' I ask. 

'Don't ruin my metaphor, Devon.'"

Cover Art Commentary:
This cover is sweet and whimsical, just like the main character Devon! 

Rating:

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hahaha! Thanks! I thought it was funny. Juju, I really think this is a book you would like!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like something Mr. Whimsy would say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that quote lol

    I'm reading a lot of great reviews for this book. ANOTHER book to add to the TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete