Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Song of Summer by Laura Lee Anderson




Book Summery (Via Goodreads):The thirteen qualities of Robin’s Perfect Man range from the mildly important “Handsome” to the all-important “Great taste in music.” After all, Westfield’s best high school folk musician can’t go out with some shmuck who only listens to top 40 crap. When hot Carter Paulson walks in the door of Robin’s diner, it looks like the list may have come to life. It’s not until the end of the meal that she realizes he’s profoundly deaf.
Carter isn’t looking for a girlfriend. Especially not a hearing one. Not that he has anything against hearing girls, they just don’t speak the same language. But when the cute waitress at Grape Country Dairy makes an effort to talk with him, he takes her out on his yellow Ducati motorcycle.
Told in first person alternating perspectives, language, music, and culture go along for the ride as Carter and Robin find their song.

Book Review:
This is the quintessential summer read! This book has a little bit of everything...romance, humor, drama. It's perfect if you are looking for a lighter story. I love the ease of Robin's and Carter's relationship. It took me back to meeting John and falling in love. I also really enjoyed how each character was comfortable in their own skin. I wish more YA characters were like this! I loved the musical notes and the incorporation of sign language. Let me back up for a second...in high school one of my friends was deaf so I learned ASL in order to communicate with her. This took me back to falling in love with the language and the deaf community. It's so under-appreciated. My only criticism is that the ending felt a bit rushed and unfinished to me. It just didn't feel like a true ending. I hope the author decides to continue this into a series. Highly recommended for your perfect summer read!

Thanks to Bloomsbury USA Children's Books for this copy.
Published July 7 2015
This is my honest review.

Cover Art Commentary:
Love the bright colors and fun design. I wish more covers were like this!

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment