Wednesday, August 12, 2015

These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly




Book Summery (Via Goodreads): Set in gilded age New York, These Shallow Graves follows the story of Josephine Montfort, an American aristocrat. Jo lives a life of old-money ease. Not much is expected of her other than to look good and marry well. But when her father dies due to an accidental gunshot, the gilding on Jo’s world starts to tarnish. With the help of a handsome and brash reporter, and a young medical student who moonlights in the city morgue, Jo uncovers the truth behind her father’s death and learns that if you’re going to bury the past, you’d better bury it deep. 

Book Review:
I was super happy to receive a copy of Jennifer Donnelly's new book These Shallow Graves. I remember really enjoying Donnelly's previous work, A Northern Light. I was surprised to discover that I read her previous book in 2011! I can't believe I have gone so long between Donnelly's work, it's just as accomplished as I remember. These Shallow Graves is set in the late 1890's, a period in time that was not generous to women. Jo swims upstream in a male-driven world to find answers regarding her father's mysterious death. Donnelly peels back the story in layers, revealing information in small, but satisfying doses. The character's are basically separated into two categories: the haves and the have-nots, each adding color and depth to the story. There is a slow-building romance that will make you swoon. At the epicenter, is the mysterious death. My craving for answers kept me reading These Shallow Graves well into the night. Overall, Donnelly has done superb job! I look forward to reading her other works and recommend you to do the same!

Thanks to Random House Children's for this copy.
Published October 27, 2015
This is my honest review.

Cover Art Commentary:
The cover is very fitting for the story. The muted colors and loose boards create the perfect setting.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment