Monday, March 12, 2012

Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #1) by Jessica Spotswood




Book Summery (Via Goodreads): Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they're witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship--or an early grave.

Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with six months to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother's diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family's destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate stars scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.

If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren't safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood -- not even from each other.

Book Trailer:


Book Review:
I've been reading a lot of hype about this book. This book has everything I love...Historical fiction? Check. Strong female protagonist? Check. Hot romance? Check. Superawesome witches? Check. I'll admit, the story starts off a little slow, but it doesn't take too long before the pace quickens. The world building was very well done. I found Spotswood's descriptions easy to picture. I liked that Cate's family and character are flawed. I find flawed characters to be a bit easier to relate to. Cate's concern for her sisters is heartwarming. It's nice to find a main character who is self-sacrificing for her family. Sometimes I tend to grow wearing of the YA love-triangles, but it really worked in this case. There are so many good components to this story. I could have easily read another 300 pages! The ending just about left me breathless! I need the next book in the series like yesterday! I highly encourage YA readers to give this book a try! :)   

Favorite Quote:
“The universe has yet to take my wishes under consideration.” 

Cover Art Commentary:
I wont lie, I'm a sucker for gorgeous covers, and this one is definitely eye-catching! I love the old-timey feel it has with a touch of mystery!


Rating:

4 comments:

  1. I agree that this book started out slow, but I loved it too. It was nice to see a girl protect her sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Sounds great! And I looooove the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous that you already read this. It sounds so good and I'm just waiting for my library to get it in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one hadn't really caught my eye before, but if it's historical fiction AND has a great main character, I'm going to need to add it to my list. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete