Friday, March 13, 2015

You Are Mine (Mine #1) by Janeal Falor




Book Summery (Via Goodreads): Serena knows a few simple things. She will always be owned by a warlock. She will never have freedom. She will always do what her warlock wishes, regardless of how inane, frivolous, or cruel it is. And if she doesn’t follow the rules, she will be tarnished. Spelled to be bald, inked, and barren for the rest of her life—worth less than the shadow she casts.
Then her ownership is won by a barbarian from another country. With the uncertainty that comes from belonging to a new warlock, Serena questions if being tarnished is really worse than being owned by a barbarian, and tempts fate by breaking the rules. When he looks the other way instead of punishing her, she discovers a new world. The more she ventures into the forbidden, the more she learns of love and a freedom just out of reach. Serena longs for both. But in a society where women are only ever property, hoping for more could be deadly.

Book Review:
Gosh, where do I start? I'll be honest. The premise of You Are Mine sounds interesting, but it also sounds quite similar to other YA fantasies. When I reached for this title, I was expecting a lukewarm read. What I got was a fast-paced, action-packed story that I couldn't put down, despite the late hour. You Are Mine is a cross between The Handmaid's Tale and Poison Study, with its distinct own twist.

First and foremost, women are treated lower than cattle. They are considered to be possessions and are treated like such, most often abused and embarrassed for fun and sport. Along comes Serena, who understands how things are but chooses her own path. Just when you think things can't get any worse she becomes the possession of a barbarian. I can't tell you what happens from there without spoiling it.

What I can tell you is that I absolutely adored this book. ADORED it. It's part dystopian, part action, part fantasy, part romance. This reads more like an adult fantasy, rather than YA, which I rather enjoyed. Falor makes the characters relatable and original. I could feel Serena's fear, anger, and courage. The world building is incredible, author Falor paints very descriptive pictures. Overall, I just can't recommend You Are Mine enough. I will definitely be picking up the next book in the series, Mine to Spell.

Thanks to Chardonian Press for this copy.
Published in May 6th 2013
This is my honest review.

Cover Art Commentary:
I'll be honest. I'm not a huge fan of this cover. The model is pretty and I appreciate the light and dark contrast. It's very similar to other YA books, and the context is NOTHING like other YA books. I would love to see them change this up a bit!

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment