Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Graveminder by Melissa Marr


Book Summery (via Goodreads):
Rebekkah Barrow never forgot the tender attention her grandmother, Maylene, bestowed upon the dead of Claysville, the town where Bek spent her adolescence. There wasn't a funeral that Maylene didn't attend, and at each Rebekkah watched as Maylene performed the same unusual ritual: three sips from a small silver flask followed by the words "Sleep well, and stay where I put you."

Now Maylene is dead and Bek must go back to the place--and the man--she left a decade ago. But what she soon discovers is that Maylene was murdered and that there was good reason for her odd traditions. It turns out that in placid Claysville, the worlds of the living and the dead are dangerously connected. Beneath the town lies a shadowy, lawless land ruled by the enigmatic Charles, aka Mr. D--a place from which the dead will return if their graves are not properly minded. Only the Graveminder, a Barrow woman, and the current Undertaker, Byron, can set things to right once the dead begin to walk


Book Review:
I'll admit, I've never read any of Melissa Marr's works before. Boy, I didn't know what I was missing out on! I read a review of Graveminder over at A Life Bound by Books, and I instantly was hooked. From page one, I was not disappointed. I just love Marr's descriptions. It made me miss living in the country. What I wouldn't of given to sit outside under one of our shady oaks, sipping lemonade while reading Graveminder, as the sun set over our ponds. Needless to say, it brought back some sentimental memories for me. Although I really didn't identify with Rebekkah's character, I did with that of Byron. He was a sweet, honest character, always willing to give 100% of himself. I also enjoyed Maylene's character as well. Even though she's already gone, much of her presence still lives on throughout the story. The concept of the land of the dead, and all that entails was rather intriguing for me. Again, Marr paints a vivid picture. I could practically feel the fabrics through Rebekkah's hands, see the kaleidoscope of people from various eras, and taste the salty air. Overall, this book is not to be missed for lovers of mystery and paranormal romance. For more information, check out Marr's website. I adore the "official" song of the book, you should definitely take a minute to check it out. :)

Favorite Quote:
"For a small town, Claysville had a high number of graveyards and cemeteries. By law, everyone ever born within town limits had to be buried here; consequently, the town had more deceased residents than living ones. Maylene wondered sometimes what would happen if the living knew of the bargain the town founders had made, but every time she'd broached the topic with Charles, she'd been rebuffed. Some battles weren't ones she could win-no matter how much she wanted them." (p. 2)

Cover Art Commentary:
Oh. my. How gorgeous is this cover? Mysterious, spooky, and inviting all at the same time. It was one of the first things that drew me to this book! :)

Overall Rating: 

2 comments:

  1. Graveminder sounds great! =) I really should pick this one up! Thanks for the review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of Melissa Marr's books either. Graeminder does sound good so this might be the first one of her's I pick up.

    ReplyDelete