Thursday, October 18, 2012

Because It Is My Blood (Birthright #2) by Gabrielle Zevin




Book Summery (Via Goodreads): Since her release from Liberty Children's Facility, Anya Balanchine is determined to follow the straight and narrow. Unfortunately, her criminal record is making it hard for her to do that. No high school wants her with a gun possession charge on her rap sheet. Plus, all the people in her life have moved on: Natty has skipped two grades at Holy Trinity, Scarlet and Gable seem closer than ever, and even Win is in a new relationship.But when old friends return demanding that certain debts be paid, Anya is thrown right back into the criminal world that she had been determined to escape. It’s a journey that will take her across the ocean and straight into the heart of the birthplace of chocolate where her resolve--and her heart--will be tested as never before.

Book Trailer:


Book Review:
I honestly didn't think this series could be any better than when I read All These Things I've Done, but I am so happy to be proven wrong! Get ready for an emotional roller coaster with this follow up! Anya so desperately wants to do the right thing, but someone else has a different plan for her. My favorite parts of this book occurred while Anya was in Mexico. I was intrigued by the thought that Mexico had done things right, while the U.S. was floundering as a society. Really interesting stuff. I am really excited to see where things go from here! Zevin is now one of my automatic go-to authors!

Favorite Quote:
"Natty studied my face. She held my cheeks in her hands, hands with disarmingly long fingers. 'You look strong Annie. That's all. But then, you've always been strong'."

Cover Art Commentary:
Ok, I seriously have ISSUES when they change up the covers mid-series. STOP DOING THAT!!!! What makes me happy is that both hardcover books look like giant bars of Balanchine chocolate once you remove the dust covers. Hazzah for that! :)

Rating:

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book. There is a fantastic cast of characters, a plot hurtling along at breakneck speed, and a superb dystopian world. There are things to nitpick (a large plethora of things to nitpick), but none of them take away from how sheerly enjoyable this book is.

    regards,
    charmaine of Burien Plumber

    ReplyDelete