Thursday, September 24, 2015

Lair of Dreams (The Diviners #2) by Libba Bray




Book Summery (Via Goodreads):After a supernatural showdown with a serial killer, Evie O’Neill has outed herself as a Diviner. With her uncanny ability to read people’s secrets, she’s become a media darling, earning the title “America’s Sweetheart Seer.” Everyone’s in love with the city’s newest It Girl…everyone except the other Diviners.
Piano-playing Henry DuBois and Chinatown resident Ling Chan are two Diviners struggling to keep their powers a secret—for they can walk in dreams. And while Evie is living the high life, victims of a mysterious sleeping sickness are turning up across New York City.
As Henry searches for a lost love and Ling strives to succeed in a world that shuns her, a malevolent force infects their dreams. And at the edges of it all lurks a man in a stovepipe hat who has plans that extend farther than anyone can guess…As the sickness spreads, can the Diviners descend into the dreamworld to save the city?

Book Review:
I have held off on writing this review because I needed some time to think about this book after finishing it. Obviously, it took me a bit longer to get through this novel due to its length. While I really enjoyed Lair of Dreams, I definitely think it easily could have been at least 100 pages less. The first few hundred pages built up suspense and intrigue, and last few slowly resolved the plot and enigma that plagued the beginning of the story. However, the middle of the story seemed to be a bit repetitive and I found myself getting a bit frustrated at the lack of progress. Honestly, that's my biggest compliant. For being 600+ pages, it was quite easy to pick this baby up and get lost in the streets (and dreams) of New York. I love the historical feel with the supernatural twist. While Evie is the main character, she is not my favorite this time around. I loved the addition of the new characters. My favorite story-line is that of Ling and Henry. I definitely think their story is the heart of the novel. Overall, Bray did an excellent job with this second addition of The Diviners series. I can't wait for the next installment!

Cover Art Commentary:
I know the cover change has caused a bit of a stir, but I actually like it. The underground tunnels are perfect...it gives off a slightly creepy and mysterious feel. I also really like the colors.

Rating:

2 comments:

  1. I just finished the audiobook of The Diviners! I enjoyed it a great deal. Really creepy, but Evie wasn't always my favorite character even in the first book, but I liked her enough for the most part. I do look forward to reading Lair of Dreams! I will probably do that one on audiobook as well. It is less intimidating. I do think I like the original cover better, but I don't mind the new one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay! I hope you enjoy Lair of Dreams. It's a bit different, but follows the theme! :)

      Delete