Monday, January 16, 2012

Wither (The Chemical Garden #1) by Lauren DeStefano




Book Summery (Via Goodreads): Obviously, something went terribly wrong. Genetic mutations have festered, reducing human longevity to twenty-five, even less for most women. To prevent extinction, young girls are kidnapped, mated in polygamous marriages with men eager to procreate. Sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery, a recent victim of this breeding farm mentality, has vowed to break loose from its fetters; but finding allies and a safe way out is a challenge she can only hope she will survive.

Book Review:
There are so many thoughts rolling around in my mind after reading this. It's definitely an engrossing read. I polished this book off in just a few hours. The idea behind the premise of taking genetic engineering too far is rather intriguing. (It could be that I work as a nurse, so the medical aspects were rather fascinating to me.) The mixture of the older (non-affected) and newer (affected) generations made for interesting dynamics. It would be horrible to know that you would die in the prime of your life. Rhine is a likable main character. She holds her core values intact, while adjusting to her new circumstances at the same time. While the reader learns some of Rhine's history, I would have liked to know her before she was abducted. Experiencing more of her back story would have made for a deeper plot. The interactions between the sister wives was unexpected. I am not a fan of polygamous relationships. At all. It was hard for me to swallow at some points, but DeStefano deals with the subject rather well. My favorite interactions were between Rhine and Gabriel. I hope that the next book had more interactions between those two. I also enjoyed the scenes with Jenna. Vaughn sends chills down my back. I know his story is far from over. There were parts of this book that made me smile, cringe, sad, and angry. It's definitely a book that makes you think and reflect. I am eager to read the upcoming sequel Fever, which is released in February. I have an idea of where the story might go, but you never really know what the author is up to!

Favorite Quote:
“Even the human race can't claim to be natural anymore. We are fake, dying things. How fitting that I would end up in this sham of a marriage.” 

Cover Art Commentary:
Well hello gorgeous! I love LOVE the color and the design of this cover! :) Rhine's wedding dress is unique and elegant. The caged bird in the bottom corner is a nice touch.

Rating:

5 comments:

  1. I love your voice. This doesn't sound like one for me but I loved your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Samantha
    Agreed!

    @Juju
    Thanks love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Rhine and Gabriel together. They are just sooo cute! I agree that I would love to see more of what Rhine was like before Wither. Maybe a prequel will come in the future????

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Bailey
    Agreed! I would LOVE a prequel! :)

    ReplyDelete