Thursday, March 28, 2013

Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms #1) by Morgan Rhodes




Book Summery (Via Goodreads): In a land where magic has been forgotten but peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest is simmering. Three kingdoms grapple for power—brutally transforming their subjects' lives in the process. Amidst betrayals, bargains, and battles, four young people find their fates forever intertwined:

Cleo: A princess raised in luxury must embark on a rough and treacherous journey into enemy territory in search of a magic long thought extinct.

Jonas: Enraged at injustice, a rebel lashes out against the forces of oppression that have kept his country impoverished—and finds himself the leader of a people's revolution centuries in the making.

Lucia: A girl adopted at birth into a royal family discovers the truth about her past—and the supernatural legacy she is destined to wield.

Magnus: Bred for aggression and trained to conquer, a firstborn son begins to realize that the heart can be more lethal than the sword. . . .

The only outcome that's certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?

Book Review:
When I first saw this cover, I fell in love. I mean, daggers, castles, a creepy hooded person?! It just looks intriguing  doesn't it?! The novel itself lives up to the promise of its cover. A character driven novel full of suspense, drama, romance, revenge, and much more! I gobbled this story up quickly. Perhaps my favorite character is Cleo. She has good intentions, but always finds herself in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Her fiery nature and kind heart prove to be a wonderful and interesting mixture. Jonas is growing on me, slowly but surely. I do wonder what will become of him. Lucia is the character we know the least about, though I have a feeling we'll learn more about her in future books. Magnus. Oh, Magnus. I love and hate him at the same time. I hope that he takes a turn for the better, but my gut tells me otherwise. Overall, a wonderful YA fantasy novel that is sure to please.

Favorite Quote:
“You're the same as you were yesterday and the day before. Nothing has changed. Not really. Forget what troubles you. Regret nothing, but learn from any mistakes you make. Tomorrow will be a brighter day, I promise.” 

Cover Art Commentary:
I fell in love with this cover the moment I saw it! Perhaps my favorite thing about this cover is the castle in the background. :)

Rating:

9 comments:

  1. yeah you liked it too :) I read and enjoyed it too ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was honestly surprised at how much I enjoyed it! :)

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you liked this book. I love character driven books and I love Fantasy. And yes the cover is awesome. I have this one waiting for me to read, sitting on my shelf. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great read! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! :)

      Delete
  3. Good to see that you liked it so much. I remember reading somewhere that this book was the YA version of Game of Thrones. If it is then I am so reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps, if you don't take the reference too literally. Either way, it's well worth reading! I hope you give it a try! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, yes, I really enjoyed this one too. Surprising, because none of the other books by Michelle Rowen worked for me. In fact, I DNF-ed the two I tried reading. But this was different and refreshing and very cool. I can't wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed this as much as I did! I haven't read any of her other works.

      Delete