Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns #1) by Rae Carson




Book Summery (Via Goodreads): Elisa is the chosen one.

But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can't see how she ever will.

Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.

And he's not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people's savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.

Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.

Most of the chosen do.

Book Review:
This book came highly recommended by my fellow bloggers, and I can see why. Carson wove a fabulous tale full of romance, adventure, religion, and friendship. I enjoyed Elisa's character arc. At the beginning I was quite frustrated with her. However, over time she matured and grew into a strong, confident character. I also enjoyed the supporting characters as well. I also quite enjoyed the role that religion played in this book. While I'm not one for overly religious tones, Carson does a good job of incorporating it into the story on it's own accord. I'm curious to see where this series will go. There were a few things that knocked down the rating...Elisa's obsession with her weight was tedious and downright annoying. Also, several times I felt that she kept telling the reader how close she felt connected with another character, but I didn't actually feel their connection. Overall, I really enjoyed this book. Once I started reading, it was difficult to set it down!

Favorite Quote:
“Honor from death,” I snap, “is a myth. Invented by the war torn to make sense of the horrific. If we die, it will be so that others may live. Truly honorable death, the only honorable death, is one that enables life.” 

Cover Art Commentary:
I am not a fan of this cover. The blue jewel has a lot of meaning to the story, but I find the background colors to be on the bland side.

Rating:
 

3 comments:

  1. I think the cover has grown on me. I did really like the ARC cover, though this one has more of a uniqueness to it. As in, it's not just another pretty girl in a dress book.

    Cannot wait to read this! Nice review! I didn't know about the religion aspect. As long as it's tastefully done, I'll have no problems with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see that you liked this too! I was in the mood for a good fantasy read and this was exactly what I needed. Can't wait for the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like it either when the character 'tells' us how she feels about some people, but it doesn't 'show' us. Still I am glad that you did enjoy this book. I might give it a try too someday :)

    Happy midnight reading!

    ReplyDelete