Friday, January 11, 2013

The Dead and Buried by Kim Harrington




Book Summery (Via Goodreads): Jade loves the house she's just moved into with her family. She doesn't even mind being the new girl at the high school: It's a fresh start, and there's that one guy with the dreamy blue eyes. . . . But then things begin happening. Strange, otherworldly things. Jade's little brother claims to see a glimmering girl in his room. Jade's jewelry gets moved around, as if by an invisible hand. Kids at school whisper behind her back like they know something she doesn't.

Soon, Jade must face an impossible fact: that her perfect house is haunted. Haunted by a ghost who's seeking not just vengeance, but the truth. The ghost of a girl who ruled Jade's school — until her untimely death last year. It's up to Jade to put the pieces together before her own life is at stake. As Jade investigates the mystery, she discovers that her new friends in town have more than a few deep, dark secrets. But is one of them a murderer?

Book Review:
Wowzers! I honestly did not expect to enjoy this as much as I did!  I really enjoyed Harrington's Clarity series. So when I discovered she was working on this little beauty, I immediately put it on my TBR list! I'll be honest about something, I LOVE haunted house stories, and this one doesn't disappoint. The "creepy" factor begins shortly into the first few pages. Jade is a wonderful main character, trying to make the best out of a less-than-ideal situation. I honestly don't know what I would have done had I been placed in her situation. I love the mention of the gemstones, such a great touch. The supporting characters really make this story. Watching Jade interact with them were some of my favorite parts of the story. Oh, and the diary! While, the reader gets snippets of the Kayla's diary, I would have liked it in its entirety at the end of the book. Each entry was darker than the rest. Overall, a great mystery that I highly recommend!

Favorite Quote:
"When I was little, I'd loved ghost stories. And I'd been completely convinced that ghosts were real. But then I grew up and figured they were just part of legend - like vampires and werewolves. Haunted houses were just old, run-down places whose 'ghosts' could be experienced by drafty windows, loud pipes, or lying tenants looking for attention."

Cover Art Commentary:
This isn't my favorite cover. I'm not a fan of dead people on book covers. 

Rating:

6 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of the cover either, but the story sounds awesome. Loving it already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lola, you have me intrigued! :) Always love when the supporting characters become just as awesome as the main ones! And there's stuff about gemstones? I love those! :D Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! This was an awesome book! :)

      Delete