Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Social Code (The Start-Up #1) by Sadie Hayes




Book Summery (Via Goodreads): Eighteen-year-old twins Adam and Amelia Dory learned the hard way to rely only on each other, growing up in a small town where they understood the meaning of coming from nothing. But everything changes when both are offered scholarships to Stanford University – and catapulted into the dazzling world of Silicon Valley, where anyone with a good enough idea can skyrocket to fame and fortune in the blink of an eye…
Amelia is almost as pretty as she is smart – almost. A shy girl and genius, she is happiest alone in the computer lab, but her brother has other plans for her talents: A new company that will be the next Silicon Valley hit, and will thrust Amelia into the spotlight whether she likes it or not. Where Amelia’s the brains, Adam’s the ambition – he sees the privileged lifestyle of the Silicon Valley kids and wants a piece of what they have. He especially wants a piece of Lisa Bristol, the stunning daughter of one of the Valley’s biggest tycoons.
As Adam and Amelia begin to hatch their new company, they find themselves going from nothing to the verge of everything seemingly overnight. But no amount of prestige can prepare them for the envy, backstabbing and cool calculation of their new powerful peers.

Book Review:
Ok, I admit, I was a sucker for this cover. I am soooo glad it hooked me because this book was well worth it! Within the first few pages, I was deeply immersed in Adam and Amelia's world at Stanford. Hayes has a created a well thought-out and rich character profile for not only the main character's, but the supporting cast as well. Somehow all of the character's lives are interconnected, which can be tricky, but Hayes pulls it off seamlessly. Even if you aren't a fan of technology, I highly encourage you to pick up a copy of The Social Code. It has a little bit of something for everyone...romance, adventure, deceit, mystery, and more! Fair warning, the ending is a bit of a cliff-hanger! I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel The Next Big Thing!

Thanks to St. Martin's Press for this copy
To be published September 3rd, 2013
This is my honest review.

Cover Art Commentary:
Ok, so I admit, the glasses were one of the main features that caught my eye on this cover. I wear glasses. I love LOVE that big plastic frames are in right now. While glasses aren't the focal point of this story, the fact that Amelia is a geek is a staple to the story line. Let's admit, glasses = geek. I am 100% OK with that. Also, I really like the black and white background.

Rating:

10 comments:

  1. Ooh, I hadn't heard of this book yet. It sounds really good! I'm definitely going to have to check it out. I love the cover, too!


    ~ Nikki @ There were books involved...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was honestly surprised at how much I enjoyed it! Now I am hooked! I hope you like it just as much! :)

      Delete
  2. That is a cute/interesting cover! This one sounds pretty good. I have added it to my TBR pile.

    Kay @ It's a Book Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you like it as much as I did! The cover is eye catching, isn't it?!

      Delete
  3. I don't know that I love the cliffhanger ending, but other than that this book sounds awesome. I'm definitely curious about this one, who doesn't love a book with romance, mystery, and deceit? SIGN ME UP LOLA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next book in the series releases fairly quick, so hopefully the cliffhanger ending doesn't put you off too much. I really REALLy enjoyed this book! :)

      Delete
  4. They changed the cover! I read this and the second installment awhile ago. At the time it was an online serial novella but I could never tell when hey were released and lost track lol

    I'll have to see what they're up to now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering about that! There were 2 release dates on goodreads and I found it to be a little confusing! Thanks for clearing that up!!!

      Delete
  5. I haven't heard of this one, but it sounds really good! I'm a big fan of glasses on covers, too. I wear glasses and nerdy stuff is something that's going to hook me in! ;) I'm off to add it to my tbr list! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! Nerdy stuff ROCKS!!! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete