Saturday, February 14, 2015

Love, Lies and Lemon Pies by Katy Cannon




Book Summery (Via Goodreads): Love, Lies and Lemon Pies, the debut YA novel from Katy Cannon, is the perfect summer read for fans of Sarah Dessen and Louise Rennison. With a Bake Club recipe at the start of each chapter, this book perfectly captures the current appetite for all things baking! Lottie, our narrator, captures the experience of a young teenage girl navigating the world of school cliques, difficult teachers and new romance, creating a world that young readers are sure to recognize. Since her dad died, life hasn't been the same for Lottie - it was easier to push her friends away than cope with their awkwardness. But when the school suggest she joins Bake Club to get her back on track, Lottie reluctantly agrees. But Lottie's uncertainty about Bake Club melts away as she rekindles her love of baking and gets caught up with Mac, the school rebel and another unwilling Bake Club member. Both Lottie and Mac have secrets to keep, and as Bake Club progresses towards an end-of-year competition, the tension rises between the Bake Club members. Can Lottie keep up the facade of her perfect life without the others finding out what's really going on at home? Can Mac keep his demanding, heavy-handed father off his back - not to mention the school counselor who's written him off as a no-hoper? And can their bubbling romance survive the pressure? 

Book Review:
To be honest, I hadn't planned on picking this up. In fact, I'd never heard of it before. But then I got approved on netgalley to read the companion novel Secrets, Schemes and Sewing Machines. I looked into the series a bit more and discovered Love, Lies and Lemon Pies. The cover was so cute, I couldn't help myself! Also, I love cooking and baking, so that was a major enticement to pick this baby up. I'm glad I did. I gave it 3.5 stars honestly, because it's not a profound or life-changing book. It's a contemporary, and I'm sure you've read something similar to it before. However, it is an enjoyable quick read when you're in the mood for something light. I enjoyed the recipes at the beginning of each chapter. It was a little hard to wrap my mind around the metric measurements, but they sounded tasty all the same. I found Lottie to be a very relatable character (not sure what that says about me). She's sensible, smart, and very organized. I loved LOVED the supporting characters, especially Mac and Jasper. Love, Lies and Lemon Pies has a little something for everyone. I'm very much looking forward to reading Secrets, Schemes and Sewing Machines!

Cover Art Commentary:
I just adore this cover! First of all, I love baking, so that's already a huge plus! Second, the colors are lively and compliment the title, as well as the story. This cheery cover made me smile every time I picked up this book!

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment