Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Deserted Island Style


Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman
I initially fell in love with the movie. However, it take me long to fall in love with Hoffman's writing. This is one of her best works, hands down.

Forgotten by Cat Patrick
This was one of my favorite reads from 2011. It's unforgettable (see what I just did there?!) story that would keep me entertained on a deserted island.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman
This was one of my first Gaiman novels. I still reference it to this day. A classic that must be re-read over the years.

Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst
This book has a little bit of everything in it...supernatural, romance, humor, adventure. A wonderful addition to my island treasure chest!

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Arguably my favorite Atwood novel to date. A must have on a deserted island!

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn
This small novel packs a punch. I just adored this story and will probably read it again in December. 

The Space Between by Brenna Yovanoff
I still think about this story. It would give me much to ponder on in my solitude on a deserted island.

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Ok, another Gaiman book. I know. This would be perfect for something a little lighter, but still substantial.

Ok, maybe I'm a little obsessed because I am reader Blood and Starlight right now...but these books are so complex. I wouldn't mind re-reading them multiple times. SO GOOD!

So, what books would you "bring" with you to a deserted island?

26 comments:

  1. Great choices! I need to read a bunch of these. I adore Laini Taylor's books and Dash & Lily. They would be great deserted island companions.

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Those are definitely some of my favorite books! This was a difficult list to compile!

      Delete
  2. Ohh, I'd bring The Space Between anywhere with me! That book is one of my all time favorites, and like you, I just can't stop thinking about it. Brenna as such a talent for creating an eerie atmosphere.
    :)
    I love all these other picks as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just adore her writing! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. Drink, Slay, Love, Daughter of smoke and bone & The space between are on my reading list :) The graveyard book is great!

    TTT@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still need to read Dash and Lily's Book of Dares! :) Here's my TTT: http://aliceinreaderland.wordpress.com/2012/11/12/top-ten-books-id-want-on-a-deserted-island/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SUCH a great book! Heading over to your blog now! :)

      Delete
  5. The Handmaid's Tale, Dash & Lily and Forgotten are all fab books. I really cannot wait to start Days of Blood and Starlight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of these, but a few are one my TBR pile, so I'll assume they are good :)

    My top ten:
    http://booksojourner.blogspot.com/2012/11/top-ten-tuesday-2-books-id-want-on.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you give them a try! Heading over to check out your TTT list now!

      Delete
  7. Awesome list with some great choices. I still need to read Dash and Lily's Book of Dares.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice selection here, very nice indeed. Good to see a bit of Gaiman and Atwood in there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only read the Gaiman book, which was very good. Eat, Slay, Love looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which Gaiman book? Eat, Slay, Love is such a fun read!

      Delete
  10. YES! I love Practical Magic. The book and film! (I read it first)

    I need to try American Gods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Practical Magic is one of those classics that everyone should read! American Gods is soooo good! I hope you try it!

      Delete
  11. I know what you mean by The Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I'm sure if I reread it I would find so many things I overlooked or missed the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole series is something that I will re-read from time to time! :)

      Delete