Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Thanksgiving Style -or- Lola through the ages


This week's topic is: Authors and books to be thankful for

  1. Dr. Seuss: I grew up on his books. My parents never read much themselves, but wanted me to be a reader. They would take me to the library every week and order books through scholastic at school. It all started here, with Dr. Seuss.
  2. The Baby Sitter's Club series: This was a staple growing up. A few of these books were assured a spot in my library bag every week!
  3. The Goosebumps series: Another staple when I got a little older. I actually own the entire series. Recently, my parents dug out this series for me. It's definitely one I'll keep for my kids some day!
  4. The Harry Potter series: Ok, somewhere between middle school and high school my reading streak ended. I'm not really sure what happened. However, this series first came out when I was in high school. When I finally gave it a shot, I was hooked. Reading became part of my daily routine again. For that, I will always be grateful! 
  5. Neil Gaiman: Gaiman was my first introduction into science fiction. I can't imagine a better introduction! His writing is original, witty, and engaging. I'm still a huge fan to this day!
  6. Margaret Atwood: One of my all-time favorite authors! Her bold, feminist writing astounds and inspires me! I need to read more of works!
  7. Alice Hoffman: When I moved away for the first time, Hoffman's books kept me entertained and distracted from being alone in city where I didn't know anyone. I will always be grateful for that!
  8. Chuck Palahniuk: I read a lot of Palahniuk's work as well when I was first on my own. Another great source of entertainment. His bold writing style isn't for everyone, but I certainly enjoyed it!
  9. Stephanie Meyer: Ok, it pains me to add Meyer to this list, but she is essential. I was still new to my new home and my boyfriend of 3 years had just left after a week long visit. He was moving across the country and we basically said our goodbye's at the airport. I was beyond sad. I actually picked up a few of the Twilight books at the airport bookstore on my way home. They were a great distraction and my first introduction to YA literature.
  10. Rachel Caine: Caine was my journey further into YA. I gobbled up her Morganville Vampire series quickly and then moved on to her adult Weather Warden series shortly after. Caine's writing is certainly much better than Meyer's. Her stories have a lot more depth. I haven't finished the Morganville series since it went to hard cover and larger paperback formats. I plan on reading the rest of the series if it becomes available in mass market paperback format like the rest of the series I own.
Wow...that was kind of an emotional journey that led me to where I am today. Anyways, what books and authors are you grateful for?

 

19 comments:

  1. I can't believe myself! I forgot The Babysitter's Club. I cannot forgive myself. I will edit my post now. Haha! :D Great list though I haven't read some. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you don't have to edit your list! It was a great series though! :)

      Delete
  2. Margaret Atwood is a good one. I debated on adding Stephanie Meyer. Good list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Atwood! Heading over to your list now! :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! ;) Heading over to your list now! :)

      Delete
  4. I love your choices and that they all mean so much to you! I should have added Stephenie Meyer to my list because, honestly...I still adore those books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was honestly an emotional journey for me.

      Delete
  5. I also added Stephenie Meyer! And I LOVE The Babysitters' Club books. What a staple from childhood. Great list - very nostalgic.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, nostalgic indeed! Going to check out your list now! :)

      Delete
  6. What an awesome list. I like were you took this. For me as a kid it would be CS Lewis. As a young adult, it was Alice Hoffman. I love how magical her books are. Now it's Sarah Addison Allen and Joshilyn Jackson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and Stephenie Meyer for me too. She introduced me to YA books. Something that wasn't really around when I was a YA myself.

      Delete
    2. Ooooh...C.S. Lewis would be a good addition!

      I know, YA was a whole new concept to me! Now it's primarily what I read!

      Delete
  7. oh great list of authors through the ages :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that Margaret Atwood made your list and the reason why!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Dr Seuss, too. I didn't love him when I was a kind, because I pretty much only wanted to read books with princesses, but now I love his books. And Harry Potter is definitely at the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh!!! It's so cute that all you wanted to read was princess books!!! :)

      Delete