Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Well, I finally did it!

 Yup, that's right! I finally took the plunge and bought an ereader. I've been tossing the idea around for a while after stubbornly abstaining for years. Initially, when they came out my interest was piqued. I knew that I wanted something that I could read for long periods of time without straining my eyes. The concept of a long life battery was appealing as well. I narrowed down my choices to a kindle or nook, something simple. But which one? I couldn't decide, so I put off buying one. Frustrated at my lack of decisiveness, I declared "I've been reading paper books for a long time, why change now?" Then all the colorful tablets came along with their allure of internets, apps, and games. I was tempted by their shininess. This added even more choices to my already difficult decision and once again, I couldn't choose. I just put off making a decision again. Then came along this tome:
Diviners
 It weighs in at just shy of 600 pages. Holding this sucker brought back memories of all the hefty hardcovers I've read from time to time. Trying to get comfortable, in the right light, while staying on the right page. I finally thought "this would be so much easier if I had an ereader." Then came cyber Monday and Amazon's kindle fire on sale for $30 off the original asking price. I was ready to take the plunge but had yet to decide on which ereader I wanted. I asked my friends and facebook buddies for recommendations. With their input and online reviews in mind, I finally settled on either the kindle paper white or the nook simple touch with glow light (Neither of which came highly recommended. People really seem to like the color tablets.). So it came down to price. Which was the biggest bang for my buck? The final answer was the nook simple touch with glowlight. It had all the features of the kindle paper white for the same price. However, all the accessories were included. Plus, I have the option of bringing it into the store if I have any issues or troubleshooting. So I took the plunge and made the purchase. So far, I am beyond happy. I can't believe I waited this long. I plan to weed out a good portion of my paper books and sell them back (Keep in mind, I have enough books that the fear of being buried alive by them is a real motivator to thin the heard), then purchase what I want to keep on the nook. This will certainly lighten my book load when I move. I still plan on buying paper books that I want to keep/display, particularly those of beloved series. However, the ease of the ereader is making a marked improvement on my day-to-day reading.

What do you think? Are you a fan of the ereader? If so, which one? If not, tell me why! I'd love to know your thoughts!

6 comments:

  1. I'm still on the fence about buying an e-reader. However, I've just finished reading The Diviners and my poor arms probably wish that I would have spared them and read it on a kindle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! This book definitely helped guide me towards a decision. For what it's worth, I love it! :)

      Delete
  2. Yesss! You go girl! I had a Kindle that I loved for years (finally donated it recently) and now I just read on my iPod.

    Being a busy mama (with a baby that thinks paper is for shredding and eating), it's imperative my books be digital and easy to carry.

    Congratulations :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had a Kindle Keyboard for almost two years. It's pretty cool and has its perks, but I still do 99% of my reading with paper books. Haven't been able to make that transition yet! I'm glad you're loving yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, it's interesting that you still read paper books mostly. It'll be interesting to see what I end up doing. So far, I am still loving it!

      Delete