Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns #2) by Rae Carson



Book Summery (Via Goodreads): Elisa is the hero of her country. She led her people to victory against a terrifying enemy, and now she is their queen. But she is only seventeen years old. Her rivals may have simply retreated, choosing stealth over battle. And no one within her court trusts her-except Hector, the commander of the royal guard, and her companions. As the country begins to crumble beneath her and her enemies emerge from the shadows, Elisa will take another journey. With a one-eyed warrior, a loyal friend, an enemy defector, and the man she is falling in love with, Elisa crosses the ocean in search of the perilous, uncharted, and mythical source of the Godstone's power. That is not all she finds.

Book Review:
I enjoyed Carson's debut book, The Girl of Fire and Thorns. It really was an impressive debut, however, I found parts of the story to be lacking. I was a bit on the fence if I would pick up the sequel or not. However, reviews were pouring in with stellar ratings and comments. I thought I should at least give the sequel a chance. Boy am I glad I did. Carson took her misgivings with her first book and came back strong with the second. What an amazing accomplishment for a writer. Writers like Carson make me wish I had the drive and passion that they do for writing. You can tell that a lot of hard work and time went into this book. I savored every moment of it. Elisa finds her footing as queen, but her country is slowly falling apart. Elisa finds herself questioning who she should trust. The relationship between Hector and Elisa kept me turning the pages long after I should have been asleep. I enjoyed the journey that Elisa embarks on in her quest for the Godstone's power. Overall, a very strong story with immense promise for book three! I can't wait!!!!

Favorite Quote:
“I won't lie to you. There is always a cost. All I can gurantee is that it will be the right thing."

"It's insane," he says, but without vehemence.

"It's faith," I say.” 


Cover Art Commentary:
I wont lie. I was not a fan of these covers to begin with. However, they are growing on me, particularly this one. The colors are bolder and the image more sharp. The previous cover was a bit more bland and muddled.

Rating:

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the first one and this one sounds even better. Great review. I can't wait to get my hands on this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one and it was perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked the first book and knew I would read the second book but so far I still haven't because I have so many other books to read. Glad to see that you loved it which makes me want to read it so much more.

    ReplyDelete